To sustain Canterbury’s mission as a high-achieving college preparatory school, each year Canterbury generates its funding from:
- private grants
- fundraising from parents, alumni, grandparents, faculty/staff and other community members
The Canterbury Annual Fund provides critical support for teacher compensation, technology, the arts, sports, and inspiring curriculum.
If our budget was set to cover the full 100% cost of educating each student at Canterbury, it would require a significant tuition increase. Instead of an increase, Canterbury asks every family to contribute a tax-deductible donation to Canterbury’s Annual Fund, thus reducing each student’s annual tuition cost and encouraging a diverse student body. Consider this:
- Without the Annual Fund, Canterbury would need an additional $6,220,000 in endowment.
- To replace one $2,500 Annual Fund gift would require an additional $56,000 in Endowment dollars.
- In the 2016-17 school year, the Florida Council of Independent Schools (FCIS) annual giving median gift from parents was $651.
- In the 2016-17 school year, the annual giving median parent participation percent for FCIS was 49.1%. The median for the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) was 67%, and for Canterbury, the parent participation was 74%!
Annual Fund Class Cheerleaders
“Canterbury administrators have demonstrated they can deploy capital investment to benefit the entire community. From the shade structures in the [Hough] courtyard, to the investment in the human capital--our instructors. Canterbury has a sound track record of retaining talented educators. I appreciate the Board investing Annual Fund dollars to ensure Canterbury educators have the resources and facilities necessary to maximize the potential for our children.” -- Peter K., parent of two daughters at the Lower School
A great deal of planning goes into keeping Canterbury at the forefront of independent school education, and parents play a critical role in that process. The Annual Fund empowers our families to help provide the best possible Canterbury experience for every student.
Whenever people have the opportunity to interact with Canterbury students, they are struck by their character. Not only are they receiving unparalleled opportunities in the classroom and after school, but they are also learning what it means to be good citizens in a world beyond this campus. By helping to fund programs through the Annual Fund, we support their paths.
Our goal is 100% participation in the Annual Fund from faculty, staff, and parents. Each year, we empower parental class cheerleaders to help us reach our goals.